Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Learning From A Professional


My internship at WKBN this past summer has really helped me grow in more ways than one. Before starting my internship I was hoping it would be a way of figuring out what I want to do once I graduate. Throughout my internship I got the chance to go out with different reporters, shadow a producer, as well as hang out in promotions for a day. However, looking back there is one person who greatly helped me along the way and was willing to take time to teach me.

Dan is a fairly new reporter at the station, but he is really is good at what he does. He goes out by himself everyday, gets the story, does interviews, writes the story, and edits it all together. I find this to be an extremely stressful task and I give all VJs credit for doing what they do. As an intern I got the opportunity to tag along with the reporters and go to really neat places, however, for most of the stories I was with Dan. I'm really grateful that he took time out of his busy schedule to stop and teach me things while he was working on a story.

Even though I was just an intern, I felt like I actually contributed to the story each time in some way. Before finishing up an interview Dan always asked whether or not I had any questions to ask. He gave me a lot of great advice when shooting a package, as far as how long to hold a shot, what to shoot, different angles, etc. Once we got back to the station I would write my own version of the story and then Dan would look over it and give me suggestions and tips. Dan is a really great writer so getting advice from him was really helpful.

One day when we went to film Governor Ed Rendell in Sharon Dan was really pressed for time. He had to have two stories done that day so while he went to work on the other story, he asked me to sit in the edit bay while it was capturing and write down sound bites that I thought would be good to use. I picked out maybe 5 or 6 different bites that I thought were the best and once he was finished he came over and chose one from which I picked. Out of all the reporters, Dan definitely was the most helpful and gave me the most opportunities to contribute to the stories.

Even though I was only there for one summer I learned so much. Not only did Dan trust me to do things, but he was also very honest and told me a lot about the business, not just the positives but also the negatives. On my last day before I even got the chance to ask, Dan gave me his card and told me if I ever needed any advice or wanted him to look at something to just give him a call.

Going into my internship I had a lot of expectations, but the overall experience has really surpassed those expectations. I got the opportunity to go out on stories, get feedback on my writing, and receive professional advice. I'm truly thankful for all the time Dan took out of his day to stop and help me to make sure I was learning. Coming out of my internship I feel that I have greatly improved my writing skills, gained a new respect for VJs, have a better understanding of the business, and made some great connections.

No comments: