Thursday, November 20, 2008

Capstone almost Complete!

This Tuesday I presented my Capstone Presentation on the documentary I created, "Helping Hands." Up until my presentation day I had been working extremely hard on editing, tweaking, and writing my introduction. It seemed like this day would never come, and when it did I was extremely nervous. A few of my fellow capstone classmates had already presented including, Melissa Maines, Amanda Conway, and Nicky Piszczor, and they all did a great job. I was hoping I could do just as good as them.

My presentation started at 7 PM and was held in Mueller Theatre. After arriving, setting up, and preparing my speech a few times, people started coming in around 6:45. I was extremely nervous, but once my family started to arrive I felt much better knowing that they were all there to support me. Not only did a lot of my family show up, but also a lot of the broadcast students and a few of my good friends.

My introduction went fairly well however, I did stumble a little in the beginning. I think my notecards hurt me more than they helped me. When I would look down to see where I was, I couldn't find my place and then I got flustered, but when I just kept talking I was fine. Then it was time to play my documentary. This was the most important part of my presentation and most nerve-wrecking. I wasn't worried about anything except what the audience would think. Not only did I want to meet people's expectations but I wanted to impress them.

After my documentary concluded I asked if anyone had any questions. My classmate Doug Kunst raised his hand, but instead of asking any questions he gave me 3 wonderful compliments which made me feel really great. I also got some great compliments from my family and friends. I was lucky enough to have one of the actual volunteers from my documentary there as well. Ray and his wife came to my presentation and she told me that after watching my documentary she felt like she needed to go right out and volunteer. It was great to hear this because that was the main goal of my project. I wanted to make a documentary not just for the sake of making a documentary, but to actually serve a purpose and inspire people.

Overall, I'm happy and relieved that my presentation is finished, but more than anything I'm so happy that it went well. As I look back on all the different goals I made for this project, I truly feel that I have met each and everyone of them. The final step of my capstone project is to enter it into several contests. Thank you everyone who came to my presentation and supported me! I would also like to thank Debby Hennon, The Lawrence County Commnunity Action Parntership, and of course all the volunteers of His Hands Ministry!

No comments: