Saturday, March 15, 2008

Making Progress!


So a few weeks ago I had posted about an internship fair that was held here at Westminster. My Capstone class went and we were suppose to bring our resumes and try and network with the representatives there. After I went I really didn't think much of it. There was really only one company which related to broadcasting which was WKBN in Youngstown. I talked with the representatives for awhile and then handed them my resume, but so did everyone else.

Well these last few weeks have been pretty stressful with projects, presentations, and midterms so the last thing on my mind was trying to find an internship. I occasionally search the web and post my resume on different sites, but I haven't had much luck. The whole internship thing has been stressing me out for the longest time because I see other classmates being successful in getting interviews and I feel as though I'm a few steps behind.

Well, my whole attitude and mood changed when I received an e-mail on Wednesday. It was from the executive producer, Maggie Henderson, at WKBN in Youngstown, the same people I turned my resume in to! I was so excited to see an e-mail in my mailbox titled "Internship." Maggie said that she looked over my resume and was impressed and was wondering if I would be interested in a summer internship, which is exactly what I was looking for.

I called Maggie back the next day and set up an interview. Before my interview though, I need to make sure I'm prepared. I plan to update my resume, practice my interviewing skills, and update my resume tape in case they ask for one. I'm so excited to have an interview for a real internship, but I'm nervous at the same time. By having an internship I'll be able to not only gain the hands-on experience I need, but also find out what I want to do in the field of broadcasting. I've never been sure about what I want to do in broadcasting, but I always thought I would be able to figure it by doing an internship.

Not only would this internship be perfect for me because it's television, but it's also relatively close which means I wouldn't have to worry about driving really far. Having an internship like this would really help me to network with the professionals and find references to put on my resume. Now all I have to do is prepare myself and I hope I get it!

2 comments:

Brad Weaver, BC Instructor said...

Start working with the Career Center to get the paperwork rolling...

Unknown said...

Thats great news Shayna...Congrats!!!