Sunday, March 23, 2008

Working Together

At the beginning of the semester each person in my Capstone class had to fill out application for The Amazing Race. The application was 15 pages long and asked questions that really made you think about yourself. Not only did the application really make me think about myself, but also my partner, Christina. The application had you choose adjectives to describe your partner, describe a time where you and your parnter had an argument, and talk about your partners strengths and weaknesses. I realized that I really didn't know my partner that well, but I recently found out we make a pretty good team.

The second part of this project is to actually create the application video to send in with your application. Christina and I had talked about the video for awhile, but wanted to make sure we knew exactly what we wanted to do before we started shooting. We worked on brainstorming and preproduction for about two weeks in order to plan out the video. Once we came up with an idea that we were both happy with we wrote a script and came up with a storyboard. I even watched past application videos for The Amazing Race that were posted on the web to see what other people might have done. Some of them were very creative and well edited, but a lot of them were basically just two people sitting in front of a camera talking about themselves the whole time. Christina and I wanted to do something that would not only be creative, but also different.

After we finished up with preproduction, we were ready to begin filming, however this didn't go as smoothly as we had hoped. We had planned to begin filming on a Monday, but due to technical difficulties our filming got pushed back a day which really made us nervous. We took the next day to film our first opening scenes, and then we took the next day to finish filming the rest of the video and refilming parts that weren't quite up to par. Although it took a lot of time, we got our video shot and we got the video captured onto the computer so it would be ready to edit once we returned from spring break.

Even though I felt as though I didn't know my partner very well in the beginning, I found out that we work very well together. We both have our strengths and weaknesses, but when we combine them, we can be even stronger, for example, Christina is better at writing, while I'm better at editing. I also learned that even when we came to a bump in the road, we worked through it and still got the job done. Even though we aren't actually making this video hoping that we get picked to be on The Amazing Race, I think Christina and I might actually make a pretty good team if we did happen to be picked. I feel that our video turned out really good and I'm excited to start editing it and putting it all together, and hopefully once it is finished I can post it.

No comments: