Sunday, February 24, 2008

Insternship Fair

As I posted last week, our assignment for capstone was to attend the internship fair here at Westminster. In order to prepare, I printed out 5 copies of my resume and did a little research on some of the companies that would be there. When I first walked into the fair I was surprised to see that there were not many students there. However, the fair lasted for 2 hours and there may have been a good number of students in and out throughout that time period.

My first stop was at WKBN where I met and talked with Amy Garland. I found out that Amy is actually a Westminster graduate and currently works for WKBN as the web producer. Not only did she tell me about the station and what the interns do there, but she also gave some good advice. She explained how she was once in my shoes and looking for an internship and what she did to get where she is now. She answered all the questions we had and accepted our resumes.Although there were not many other companies there looking for broadcast students, I learned a lot from talking with some of the representatives there. One man who works in Human Resources told me that he was also a broadcast major in college, but then decided to switch over to Human Resources.

Another lady I talked with told me that a lot of companies looking for interns prefer 2 page resumes opposed to one page resumes. She said that if you have a lot of experience it's important to include it all in your resume rather than cut something out because that's what employers look for.So although I may not have found exactly what I was looking for at the internship fair it was a good learning experience and I'm glad I went. I got the chance to speak with professionals, discuss resumes, and learn about different internships. Overall I learned some valuable information that will greatly help me in my search for my future internship.

No comments: